A note to EAL children (children with English as a second language) from their teachers:
The EAL topic for May is TIME
- Children can practice saying the days of the week
- Older children ( from 3rd class up can learn the spellings of the days of the week ).
- Children will be able to say what day comes before a given day (eg Sunday comes before Monday ) and what day comes after ( eg Tuesday comes after Monday ) .
- Children will know that Saturday and Sunday are at the weekend and Monday - Friday are school days .
- Children can say what their favorite day is and why.
- Also Seasons : Spring, Summer, Autumn and winter.
The months of the year and in what season they fall In( eg July is in the Summer , December is in the Winter ) .
- Chat about what month & season their Birthday is and the birthdays of their family members .
- The language of morning , afternoon and evening ties in with this theme too.
- Please look at Twinkl & ESL Games for resources 😊
- Also RTÉ School Hub is on TV every day 11am - 12 and is excellent . Please try to watch it .
- Use the audio function on Readworks to listen to English being spoken and follow the text .
- Mostly get out in the sunshine and try to get as much fresh air as possible . We hope that you are all doing ok. We miss you !
Mrs. Forde , Ms. Carney and Ms. Meaney
The topic for April EAL (English as a second language) i: the local and wider community.
Vocabulary and ideas to consider:
-the names of people who work in the local community : doctor, postman, teacher, bus driver, shop keeper, dentist, pharmacist, librarian etc.
-Places where they work: pharmacy, hospital / surgery, shop, school, library, police station, etc.
-Names of important buildings in area: school, church, supermarket, swimming pool etc.
-Naming their favorite place in the locality
-Saying what they want to be when they grow up
-Where their parents work
-Reasons why they go to places: I go to the library to borrow a book, the dentist when I have a sore tooth, the doctor when I am sick etc.
Websites that are useful for assisting EAL students are Twinkl and eslgamesplus which have lots of worksheets and activities for the children to try
Link to Twinkl: www.twinkl.ie
Link to eslgamesplus: www.eslgamesplus.com/
A note to Ms Fleming's girls and their parents:
Links to websites mentioned:
Read Works: https://www.readworks.org/
CJ Fallon website: https://www.cjfallon.ie/
Folens Online: www.folensonline.ie
The Khan Academy: www.khanacademy.org
SESE Subject Links:
History for Kids: www.historyforkids.net
Cool Kids Facts: www.coolkidsfacts.com